Our little miracle

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Ear Follow Up

Suri had to return to Dr. Hurley this afternoon for her 4 week follow up appointment after her left ear drum ruptured 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately we learned that there is still a collection of fluid behind her left ear drum :(  It isn't causing her any problems at this moment however it could turn into a raging ear infection at any given time as it is not supposed to be there. We are running out of options at this stage of the game... re tubing her ears may have to happen down the line if the nasal spray (nasonex) Dr Hurley prescribed doesn't help open her canals so the fluid can drain. Dr. Hurley said to give the nasal spray 4 months ( yikes, 4 months of nasal spray.... ugh) and if she gets an ear infection in the mean time or has any pain, we are to return and discuss putting a new set of tubes back in along with removing her adenoids. Dr. Hurley did emphasize that Suri's tonsils are quite large and we could discuss removing them as well but we can cross that bridge if we need to down the line.

I left feeling a bit discouraged as I absolutely cringe at having to put a nasal steroid up her nose daily for 4 months... I wish there was a more natural approach that didn't expose her to a steroid so close to her brain as there is just not enough research to justify possible long term effects. I just pray this does the trick and that in 4 months all issues will be resolved and we can quit the spray and not have to worry about surgery again.

Update on nasal spray administration... Suri took it like a champ!  No complaints. This kid rocks, she rarely complains about anything treatment related!  I am one lucky Momma!



On a side note that is related to the leg pain Suri has been complaining about since December... I decided it would be worth a try to order another pair of orthotics for Suri since she out grew her last pair around November... looking back, she began complaining about her leg and foot pain about December. Well, the new orthotics came about 1 week ago and I must say, she hasn't complained about foot and leg pain all week!  I am praying all her pain was related to her mal alignment without the orthotics (which makes sense... right?) She also wears her shoes ALL day which did not happen when she wasn't wearing the orthotics. Fingers crossed she is aligned properly and the pain will no longer be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment