Our little miracle

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Suri's Top 5 (2.5)

And so it happened just the way I had suspected it would, February came and went and I feel somewhat left in it's dust! Suri is 2 years and 5 months today and I will note that I am blogging at 1:20 in the morning. For some reason, despite my pure exhaustion, I am unable to sleep peacefully tonight. Instead of fighting with the thoughts racing through my mind, I anticipate the fact that I will be even more tired tonight and therefore I figured I might as well get up and post Suri's Top 5 of this past month. I've actually looked forward to this months post even though it definitely highlights the rapid pace in which she is growing... She has done so much this past month, it was difficult to highlight just 5!

Suri's Top 5 (2.5)


  • Suri's IMAGINATION runs wild these days! She is always pretending. Her most favorite things to pretend about are "snakes", "spiders", and "cocodrillos" (aka, Crocodiles)!  I had to laugh out loud as I am typing this as most people might think this is somewhat strange... You have to remember she is Dora and Diego's biggest fan and these characters are constantly in search of something. Along their way, they normally have to get past obstacles like snakes, singing trolls and spiders... All of which Suri is now fascinated with. She is constantly telling me to watch out for the snakes and cocodrillos! Thankfully she is amused by these "pretend" images and is in no way "scared" of any of them!
  • Suri can now officially get DRESSED and undressed all by herself!  The look on her face when she is able to get her t shirt off without assistance is priceless!
  • She is obsessed with NAIL POLISH and is constantly painting and re painting her nails. Yes, this is something I personally have to sit back and take a deep breath about as I watch her paint her nail and the surrounding skin and then look at me and ask if she did a great job!! Deep breath... painted finger tips are not the end of the world; she's working on fine motor skills.... right? (Polish remover is currently on my shopping list as we are using it quite frequently these days). 
  • Suri is in the phase where she is always asking me if someone (who looks somewhat gender confused) is a man or a lady?  Unfortunately, her social nature causes her to be somewhat indiscreet in her questions!   For example... we were sitting at the Arabian Horse show when then a lady ( dressed in Western attire- button down shirt with a checkered print, blue jeans (wranglers) and boots sits down in close proximity to us. This person has very short, somewhat of a "boyish" hair style. I see Suri looking her up and down as her wheels are spinning in her head. I do my best to distract that words I know are soon to fly out of her mouth ( compare this scenario with having a bad stomach ache feeling your stomach rumble and rumble warning you you had better get to a restroom fast or you will be sorry....) Suri finally gathers her thoughts and innocently looks at me and asks " is that a man or a lady". The person somewhat to the side of us turns and shyly smiles at me as she glances toward the person Suri is asking about. I quietly respond to Suri that she is a lady and immediately try to redirect her attention toward the horses when she then blurts out. "she's a lady"?  "But she has hair like Ken (barbie)" The lady who had just looked my way and smiled proceeds to remain focused on the horses as she quietly chuckles. I know if SHE heard Suri, the "Ken" lady surely did too!  I validated Suri's observation as I tried not to laugh ( thinking to myself what a great observation that was as the lady's hair was cut similar to Suri's Ken doll).  God I love this kid!!!
  • Suri has reached a point where she is intrigued with SPELLING. She is able to identify the letters of her name as well as the letters M &O ( Mom). Everywhere we go, she enthusiastically says "there's my letter" as she points to an S. She is also asking me to spell everything... Our nightly conversations include saying her prayers and spelling every one's names! Her memory is amazing. One thing I have noticed is that she has so many things memorized but hasn't mastered "recognition" quite yet. We are working on identifying all the letters as I spell them out. I have no doubt, she will be reading sooner than I am ready for her to- ha :) Her 2 favorite things in her toy room right now are her Wooden Sandpaper letters S & M. They are on a square piece of wood and the letters are drawn out in the sand so she can trace them. She is always carrying around these 2 letters. Definitely a funny kid!

Suri has been awesome this past month. Her attitude has been positive and happy, she in conversational beyond words, and she is more animated than many of her peers! She is constantly giggling, full of life and energy ( I fear for her teachers in school...wink) and has actually been more affectionate this past month, asking for hugs and sitting on my lap for extended periods of time (moments I cherish).

Suri has done so well with the advancing of her therapeutic listening that she reached a point where I felt it was safe to "take a break" from listening. This has been our overall goal since she began TL last year, getting to a point where most of her sensory seeking behaviors are dormant so we are able to remove her listening sessions and she how she does... it has been almost 2 weeks that Suri has not listened to her albums and fortunately she is doing great. The past 2 days I have noticed some of the seeking appearing here and there (squeezing, mouthing non food items m(and biting her friend today :(- sigh) and the fact that she will no longer tolerate being covered up by a blanket while she sleeps) but none have escalated to the point where I feel we need to reinstate her listening. I am praying we can continue on our "break" for a while longer. I am so proud of her for her awareness of some of her behaviors (as well as her remorse when she chomped on her friend today). I'm taking a deep breath and remaining hopeful.... stay tuned : )

Suri Rose, you have definitely kept Mommy smiling this past month with all your silliness. You are such a smart and determined little girl I can only imagine the places you'll go someday... I love you SO very much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment