Friday morning Suri woke up and told me she needed to go potty... she has been talking a lot about potty lately and since it was 5 am on my day off, it wasn't really the conversation I wanted to have with my 23 month old. But she was persistent in repenting that she needed to go potty and she was insistent that I come with her to her potty chair. I sleepily rolled out of my bed, turned on the light (it is beginning to stay darker later in the mornings and therefore since it was 5am, a light was needed) and assisted Suri in removing her diaper and jammy pants. She sat down on the potty pushed her hair out of her eyes and WENT POTTY! After that production, I was wide awake for sure! I immediately came to life dancing and clapping making the biggest deal out the yellow collection that sat in the potty chair! Suri beamed with the proudest smile I have seen in a while. She knew she was onto something as nothing makes Mommy this excited at 5 in the morning on her day off of work! Every since then, Suri has been going on the potty. Don't get me wrong, we haven't perfected this whole potty business yet but after 2 days of only a few accidents, Suri and I went to Target and bought her first package of panties and first box of pull-ups.
I was a bit nervous that all our hard weekend work would be un-done when she was out of the house and was at Mary Beth's house today but fortunately, she went potty on Mary Beths potty too! It seems she had more accidents today at Mary Beth's house as I think Mary Beth waits until Suri tells her she has to go, where as I am constantly asking her if she needs to use the potty every hour or so. But luckily, Suri is still interested and doing her best to make it to the potty instead of voiding in her diaper.
Now, the next challenge is getting her to go poop on the potty chair. I think today is the first day in Suri's entire life that she has not gone poop! I know she is holding it as she is still somewhat apprehensive about pooping on the potty chair. She tells me she has to go, she sits, she waits and she gets this panicked look on her face and stands up and says "all done"... I am definitely not pushing the subject as this is all going to be done at her pace, minus tangible rewards (I know, I'm mean- hey, why start them when at this point Suri is tickeled to death with my excitement and clapping!). Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of diapers and we will not still be "training" when she's 3!
On a side note, just for the record, she is still waking up with a wet diaper. She goes through her nap dry but we are far from perfecting the night time dryness.... baby steps, right? :)
Wish us luck!
| Suri showing her new panties (she had just gotten out of the bathtub, hence the wet hair) |
| My little BIG girl! |
No comments:
Post a Comment