Our little miracle

Monday, January 14, 2013

Childhood Innocence

Suri,
I have to tell you a little story of something you did that truly opened my eyes to see "the bigger picture". Your actions touched my heart and left a profound impact on the way I vow to view the "little" things.

For Christmas, our friend Mary had gotten you your first Princess doll (I mentioned it in a previous post, your Princess Sophia doll, that is truly Rapunzel) and you absolutely adore this doll. Well, the other day, you must have left her on the floor in your toy room when we left for the afternoon as when you and I arrived back home, we found Princess Sophia to have had a horrible accident...

When you and I arrived home, I proceeded to unload the car as I usually do as you scamper off to play with your toys or to do the toys that most 2 year olds do aside from actually "helping" to unload... when I was putting things away, I could hear the concern in your voice as you were talking to someone. You were explaining to them that they had a boo boo and that it was okay because you were going to get your "rescue pack" (you learned that from watching Diego). I wondered what on earth you were talking about so I made my way down the hall to find you in your toy room, kneeling down next to your Princess Sophia doll, who lay in a pile of plastic (which I immediately realized USED to be her feet and hands!) Her limbs, all but one, removed... CHEWED by the dogs!!!! I immediately became infuriated with the dogs and proceeded to take them outside as I scolded them and told them how naughty they were for chewing Suri's toy (they both knew they had done wrong as neither one of them had accompanied me to see you in your toy room...). As I came back to the toy room, I found you looking up at me with somewhat of a confused look on your face as you proceeded to hold and comfort your doll. You had placed band aids from your rescue pack on her two chewed feet and hand and it was obvious you did not correlate her "accident" to the dogs chewing her. I was ready to throw the doll away and debated if I should go and buy you a new doll or use this as a teaching opportunity to educate you as to why it is important to pick up the toys when we are not playing with them (basically, a lesson appropriate to tell a 4 year old, and not a 2 year old...) and there you sat, completely unaffected by the whole situation, still loving on your doll. After all  you just came home and found your doll, laying on the floor in the toy room, in a pile of jagged plastic pieces and immediately just noticed she had some "boo boos". You were completely unaware that your doggies were to blame; after all,  you didn't see them do it. Princess Sophia was still the same doll, practically unchanged in your eyes and the thought of a getting a new doll had never crossed your mind. It was at that moment, I realized, I needed to take a step back... I needed to relax and learn from YOU! It was your doll and you had already looked past her imperfections.

That was definitely an eye opening situation for me that really made me recognize just how innocent you truly are. I am so proud of you Suri for still loving your Princess doll, missing limbs and all! Your reaction to your doll has made me vow to try to view more things from the "glass half full" perspective and not be so prone to always want to "fix" things as some things clearly are not broken.

You may never recognize the significance your innocent actions had on me but I promise you, this was an experience I will never ever forget.

I love you sweet girl and once again, you never cease to amaze me :)


Princess "Sophia"
missing limbs and all....


No comments:

Post a Comment