Suri woke up a bit earlier than usual today and was quite excited for the event that she and I had been talking about for the past couple of days...Breakfast with the Giraffes at the Phoenix Zoo! I had signed us up for this event weeks ago and envisioned a quiet leisurely morning with the giraffes! Well, I guess Mother Nature had other plans for the weather this morning and I awoke on and off throughout the night to the sound of rain.... rain... and more rain...Actually, the word "rain" is an understatement. More like major grey sky's and pouring, steady down fall would more accurately describe the weather we awoke to this morning. Half awake, I rolled over in bed, located my phone and began to sleepily Google " Phoenix Zoo".... scrolled down to events and read, read, and re- read the section that said "Clothing"... "come dressed for the appropriate weather". I decided that meant the event was going to take place rain or shine and decided I had better get up and get going as I had an umbrella to find!
On our way to the zoo, I sincerely envisioned us being the only car in the parking lot as the weather was definitely not clearing up any time soon... but actually there were quite a few cars there and even a few Mom's and Kids headed toward the entrance to the zoo, all underneath their umbrellas of course.
Suri and I made our way toward the entrance, unavoidably splashing in puddles with each step we took. Luckily, all the morning activities took place inside and Suri, her friend Madeleine and all the kids that came for Breakfast with the Giraffes were having a great time. When it came time to make our way outside to head toward the Giraffes, the sky decided to open up and soak each and everyone of us from head to toe! Im sure we were quite the sight to see, but the kids didn't seem to mind as they splashed their way toward the giraffes! Luckily, the Giraffes we were feeding were inside a large Barn/ Shed. So momentarily, we were shielded from the rain. Suri was fascinated with the two giraffes were got to feed today. It was so neat to be so up close and personal with these gentle giants. Suri had fed them outside at the zoo before, but this experience took the cake! It was awesome to learn about the Giraffes, feed them and touch the hair on their tail. Suri absorbed it all like a sponge! Definitely worth the trip in the rain :)
After feeding the Giraffes, we decided to let the kids ride the carousel. After all, we were the only ones at the zoo and the only ones who showed remote interest in riding the carousel. The attendant even let us ride for free, 2 times! Suri and her friend Madeleine were thrilled and definitely enjoyed their Breakfast with the Giraffes!
 |
| Making a tongue depressor puzzle |
 |
| Reading one of the books we have, Giraffe's Can't Dance (one of Mommy's Favorites) |
 |
| Practicing raising a bucket of leaves |
 |
| Suri's clay Giraffe |
 |
| Squeezing water out of leaves and feeding them to the Giraffe |
 |
| Suri and Madeleine |
 |
Our Giraffe Friends! The one on the right is 26 years old! The one on the left is the one Suri and I fed at the Giraffe encounter last time we were at the zoo! |
 |
| Feeding the Giraffe lettuce (salad for breakfast.... such a good girl!!) |
 |
| Peek - a - boo |
 |
| Suri and Madeleine sporting their umbrellas! |
Such a fun event for the kids. I hope to sign us up for Breakfast with the Wild Dogs and Cheetah taking place next month- a switch from herbivores to carnivores... could be interesting!
Looks like you guys had a great time...even if it was a little bit soggy. Matt takes Sophia to all the breakfasts with the animals. They were actually there for the giraffes on Thursday.
ReplyDelete