Our little miracle

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Suri's Top 5 (2.8)

I just realized I had written this on the 5th and for some reason, it didn't post....


Summer is almost here and Suri is sizzling this month! I swear she is going  from 2 to 12, her maturity absolutely amazes and scares me at the same time!  Suri has had a fantastic month. Her wheels keep on spinning and she is definitely always up for a conversation. She is so observant and opinionated for a 2 year old I can not express how grown up she is to those who have never met her!  She remains a social butterfly and never fails to greet a stranger and put a smile on their face. She is constantly in motion and loves to learn.

Suri's Top 5 (2.8)

  • Suri can draw a complete circle with a happy face on her chalk/ dry erase board ( she is holding her writing utensil's correctly these days now too!)
  • She is playing unassisted with her dolls and toys- she is constantly playing "house" with all of her stuffed animals and dollies. 
  • Suri is finally back to sleeping in her OWN room at night! (confession, I am sleeping WITH her in HER bed but at least she will sleep in her bedroom again!  Baby steps... baby steps). 
  • Suri loves to say "CHEERS" and toast whatever she is drinking to my cup :)
  • Suri's love for HELLO KITTY continues to grow!  She definitely has all the latest fashions when it comes to the cat that I have never truly been a huge fan of... ha
Suri and her very own smiley face : )




Suri continues to be ahead of many of her friends her own age and although I am so very proud of her, I also  have a sense of worry for her because of it. Im sure things will all work themselves out but I tend to look toward her future and want to proceed with caution in case she doesn't "slow down" as she gets older...
For example. She was at her Sunday school on the Peoria campus last week and when I came to pick her up after the service the teacher asked me if she was only 2 (I wanted to say "duhh, she is registered according to her age and you ARE working in the TODDLER room...)  I replied that her birthday was in October and she then let me know that she felt Suri would do better with the older kids... Same thing happened again on Sunday. Her teacher Julianne told me as much as she loves Suri, she thinks she would have more fun with the 4 year olds as they do more Sunday school activities at the level Suri is at..... 4 year olds?!?!.... I guess we are plum skipping the 3's!!
There are pros and cons of moving Suri along.  Pro's are that she absolutely loves to be with older kids and she is definitely articulate enough to converse with them. She loves to learn and has a memory to admire which would come in handy in memorizing her bible verses.  Cons... I am sure there are some tasks (like writing that she will be behind in)... secondly, if I keep moving her up what is she going to do when she gets to the end of the rope, just hang there until the kids her age catch up with her??? Decisions decisions. 

Suri continues to see her Occupational Therapist Debbie on a weekly basis. Suri adores her and is always eager to go play with her. We are now on her 3rd listening album and on Thursday, Debbie throws in a quick shift album based on where it is Suri is at with her behavior. Overall, I think Suri is doing well at Kidzspot and so far, we haven't had any setbacks that would lead me to think we were not on the right path with addressing Suri's sensory sensitivities. 

Suri is learning to say her prayers before she eats and she looks so cute sitting there with her hands folded and her eyes scrunched so tightly together as she says with minimal assistance... " Thank you for the food we eat, thank you for the world so sweet, thank you for the birds that sing, Thank you Lord for everything, Amen".  I love how her love for the Lord is beginning to shine through in some of the simple every day tasks she does. What is even more special is that she initiates some of these behaviors and holds ME accountable! wink wink...

Some of Suri's favorite foods are: Broccoli pizza (from Sauce), mac n cheese, fruits and vegetables (she will eat most all of them!), chocolate milk, water (thankfully she's a good water drinker), and of course a good ol' cheeseburger ( Marybeth says she eats a man size burger with no problem! ), she still longs for her daily applesauce and yogurts and she loves loves loves to snack on macadamia nuts and almonds. I would definitely give this kiddo an A in the eating department. 

This month, Suri is having fun "paying" for some of the things we buy. She brings her wallet which I currently stock with dollar bills and loose change.  She is able to identify pennies and quarters accurately and we are sill working on dimes and nickles. She is well aware of the fact that if you take something from the store (or from swim class (such as a lolli pop...) without paying for it, the police might come and take you away! I have to laugh at this because one day after swimming, Suri snagged a lolli pop and plopped it into her mouth before I knew about it. Of course, it would have been the day I didn't have my wallet with me and I felt horrible about not having any spare change amounting to 25 cents on me to pay for the loppi pop.  I proceeded to lecture her about how naughty it is to take something without paying for it.  We then were in Target and there were Security guards at the door. Suri asked me why they were there and I told her they are watching for people like her who take things without paying for it.  As we were leaving Target, she saw the police escorting a guy away in handcuffs and we watched them put him into his police car (very ironic that this whole scenario played out right in front of us at such an appropriate learning time).  I told her the man took something without paying for it and now he has to go to jail. Suri was definitely paying attention and proceeded to ask me if his mommy was going to miss him.  From then on, she has wanted her wallet on her at all times :)  She has fun handing money to the cashier and after she pays, she asks me if I am so proud of her for paying :)  Hopefully these little lessons will imprint on her for life and that I am instilling deep values within her that will only highlight her character later in life and not scaring her to death and making her fearful that the police are going to come take her away for innocent mistakes! ha  Luckily, she knows her Uncle Don is a Police Officer and she all but fearful of him :)  (as long as he is NOT in uniform :)

Naps this month are still a daily requirement. Suri will even ask if she can take a "sleepy" (aka, nap) when she is tired. Naps average from 1.5 hours to 3.5 hours depending on her day. Of course the 3.5 hour plus  naps always occur on the days I bank on her taking a 1.5 hr nap ...   ("schedule's" don't really exists in our house these days... we operate on more of "routines" and in doing so, Mommy is a little less stressed :)  As schedules are kind of like rules... they are made to be broken. 

Bedtime takes place the majority of nights any time from 7:30 to 8:30 pm and she is getting better about falling asleep with out me in the room as long as her ladybug star night light is on ( she has to have the red stars!) Some nights she needs me to lay with her but she is getting better about going to sleep on her own in her own room. She is still a fairly restless sleeper, she remains a sleep talker (I'll take that over sleep walking!!) and a kicker, she is still not a fan of being covered up while she sleeps however the has allowed me to cover her on occasion without waking up (once again, baby steps in the right direction...). She still wakes up randomly in the night and searches for me. She calls out my name as she is sitting up searching to touch me to make sure I am still there with her.  As soon as I make contact with her, she calms and falls right back asleep. This behavior has gone on most of her life which I feel is somewhat strange as I have always slept near or with her; you would think she would rest peacefully as all she knows is having me there. I sure hope one day she able to get to a point where she can sleep soundly through the night with no interruptions.

I still have a difficult time coming to terms with the fact that Suri is 2 &1/2 years old! She is such a special little girl with so many admirable traits. Her personality is strong (and SASSY) and I know her possibilities are endless!  I love you ladybug, "cheers" to another month of happiness!


"Cheers"
A chocolate mug with a cupcake inside and her Hello Kitty shirt... she was in paradise!



No comments:

Post a Comment