Our little miracle

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Last official day with Mary Beth

Today was Suri's last "official day at the Openshaw's house as her first day of Preschool begins tomorrow! Suri has been looking forward to going to school all summer and now that the day is finally here, she has decided to tell me she is "nervous". "nervous"... where she learned that word, I have to credit the television! All her little shows she has been watching now that we have TV are all focused on school. Some emphasize being nervous etc etc... so my innocent, happy go lucky little girl is now influenced by cartoon characters... sigh...

Anyway, Suri and I talked about saying Good Bye to Mary Beth ( but not forever, thankfully Mary Beth has agreed to take Suri on the days she doesn't have school as well as on her school breaks ) and we talked about meeting her new teacher Mrs. Mary.  At least Suri doesn't have to learn too many new names as all her caretakers seem to be named Mary :-)

Suri brought Mary Beth a pony tail palm tree as our good bye/ thank you gift. Ironic how symbolic it was after all the pony tails Mary Beth had to re do for Suri over the past year! Suri gave Mary Beth a great big goodbye hug and told her she loved her.  After saying goodbye to Mary Beth, Suri and I headed over to Little Friends Montessori so Suri could meet her new teacher and see her classroom. Suri took to Mrs Mary immediately and was instantly engaged with all the activities the classroom had to offer. I have to hand it to Mrs. Mary, I don't know how she is going to keep that classroom in tip top shape with 12 kiddos running around!  Yikes... I was overwhelmed just watching Suri blow through everything in exploration mode...
Suri's new class has 6 boys and 6 girls ages 2.5 through 6 years old. There is one teacher and 2 teachers aids in the classroom on a regular basis. Lots of bodies in a tiny classroom!  I have been assured it all works and that I will be amazed at how quickly Suri will adjust to her introduction to formal education.

After meeting with Mrs Mary for about 1 hour, Suri still did not want to leave!  She loved her classroom and after promising her she was going to return tomorrow, she finally agreed to leave!

So, tomorrow is the big day... Suri's first official day of preschool (it is an orientation day for the kids, from 9-11, and then Thursday they begin their full day). I didn't see this day arriving so quickly, I feel like it was just yesterday I was dropping her off at daycare with a bag of bottles and a pack of diapers... my how times have changed. Im need to remind myself not to blink as I am definitely not ready to face her first day of college and I know it will be here way before I am ready!
Suri and Mary Beth





Suri doing an activity with Mrs Mary 


Suri and Mrs. Mary Vallelonga
Little Friends Montessori

No comments:

Post a Comment