Saturday, while changing Suri's diaper, I noticed a tiny little red dot ( she has yet to have a diaper rash in all of her 11 months of existence) so I slathered her bottom with Desitin, taking the "out of sight, out of mind approach" and I tried not to think too much of it. However, in the WAY back of my mind a little voice kept saying "please don't let this be Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease"...
A couple of weeks ago, while Suri was home with the stomach flu, we received notice that her Day Care had had an outbreak of the common, yet nasty diagnosis of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. From working in Pediatrics, I realize that there are many different variations of this disease and some can begin with what "appears" to be a diaper rash. . . .
Come Sunday, I noticed that the tiny little red bump now had "friends" and they were all conjugating on Suri's butt cheeks! Sure enough, Suri was up and down all night last night. She was fussy and crying and nothing I did would console her. She was restless and irritable and neither of us slept well at all last night. 5am came faster than I wanted to welcome it, and reluctantly I peeled my self out of bed, and got ready for work as I tiptoed around as to not wake the beast that had appeared throughout the night... ( she was sleeping soundly in a tangled mess of blankies and paci's). As I prepared her items for daycare, that little voice in the back of my head returned... "you know she has hand foot and mouth disease so I don't even know why you are getting ready for the day, you are fixin to be home ALL week"! Sure enough, Nuggs woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed with tiny little blisters all over her knees... a few on her hands, a couple on her feet and a ton of bumps on her bottom!! Luckily, thus far, I do not see any in her mouth. I am praying hard that it doesn't get any worse before it gets better. Poor kiddo... she can't seem to catch a break as daycare has been rough on her this past year. Hopefully her immune system is going to be super strength before she enters into grade school.
So, again, here we are again on a Monday morning, preparing for yet another STAYCATION as Suri recovers from this nasty outbreak.
| The tiny little bumps before they turn to blisters |
| Blisters on her knees |
| and in her diaper |
| Nuggs watching Mickey as I take pictures of her bumps : ) |
| Bad hair day and mis matched Jammie's! |
| Good thing she is still so happy... |
Oh no...this is terrible. Neither of our girls can seem to catch a break these days. I hope she gets to feeling better fast. This would explain why I didn't hear back from you when I left you a message at work today. :)
ReplyDeletePoor Suri! I've never seen a smilier patient in my life though! She's going to look back on all this and pat herself on the back, I'll tell you that. XOXO Youre a great mama.
ReplyDelete