It all "started" about 2 weeks ago when Suri's respiratory status went from her normal state of "bad" to worse. She required antibiotics once again for her lingering upper respiratory infection... 10 days and 20 doses of Amoxicillan later, I was still unimpressed at her progress and we wound up back in the pediatricians office. Suri's was prescribed a Augmentin this time and we were told to bump up her nebulized treatments to 2 x per day as well as take her inhaler every 4 hours. 3 days of juggling medications and Suri had developed diarrhea so bad it was somewhat of a challenge to even THINK about leaving the house. Last Saturday Suri began to get a diaper rash that looked somewhat concerning to me however I pushed it to the back of my mind and thought that if it progressed, it was probably a yeasty diaper rash due to her antibiotics paired with violent diarrhea. Sunday came and went and I stopped her antibiotics. I had seen enough diarrhea to set me over the edge ( poor Suri) and the rash was looking more and more polkadoty to me and had now spread to her lips. I made a mental note in my mind that we were calling the Dr. first thing Monday morning to get some cream for her rash as well as to have a little chit chat with the Dr. regarding her cough was not improving...
Monday morning arrived and I went ahead and called into work to tell them I would be a bit late. Suri and I were at the Dr. by 9am. On our way to the Dr. Suri was in her car seat saying Owme. Owme... she was trying desperately to show me a tiny little dot on her hand that apparently was uncomfortable. Hmmm, one plus one is two right... naaah.... couldn't be. Suri's rash on her bottom, the bump on her lip and now the dot on her hand could not be Hand Foot and Mouth disease AGAIN. Could it?
OF COURSE IT COULD!! Paired with a horrible yeasty rash and an upper respiratory infection. Dang! I even think the Dr. felt bad for Suri. Well, my "late" call turned into a "sick" call and back home we went.
One week and hundreds of blisters later, Suri's cough was progressing. I was at my witts end as she was not sleeping (which meant I was not sleeping) and the frustration of a sick baby that was not improving was becoming overwhelming. Thursday night I awoke in the middle of the night with a fever of 103.3. (really??? I'm 33 years old... what the heck!) I felt like I was going to DIE and all that was going through my mind is that I CANT BE SICK, I have a SICK child to take care of!!!
Friday morning arrived and so did the white spots in my throat. I haven't had strep throat for YEARS so why in the world did I have to get it NOW??? Fast forward to Friday afternoon when we were back in the pediatrician's office. I had had it with Suri not being able to breathe and I was not leaving the pediatrician's office to face a weekend with this sick child. The dr. listened to her lungs and sent us for a STAT x ray. Sure enough, bilateral pneumonia. FINALLY!!!!!! Some ANSWERS!!!
Waiting one hour for the pharmacy to fill Suri's prescription of antibiotics along with her oral steroids felt like an eternity. My fever was back and it felt better to spit than to swallow. . . ugghhh... I wanted to curl up and wake up on the moon.
Anyway... enough of that drama. Suri and I are both on antibiotics and feeling somewhat better today. My house looks like a war zone and I still do not feel quite well enough to clean it up! ha.
Today, Suri and I spent yet another day here at home. Suri needed to be entertained with each and every thing we own and come 7pm, she was exhausted (and so was I). It was a long day of playing outside, swinging, and painting. We even took a little walk down to the frozen yogurt shop for some frozen yogurt (sounded mighty inviting to my sore throat) before bed.
Moral of the story. Thank God for Doctors, technology and medication, or I might not have lived to write this post...
| Nothing makes this kiddo happier than the swing! Yes- she has pneumonia and is out in the cold in the swing... (I bundled her the best I could) |
| How could I resit that face begging to go outside and swing... |
| (yes Suri, Mommy feels guilty and you need to wear your hat. It is a cold morning) |
| All smiles |
| About 40 minutes of swinging and she was sound asleep... |
| Yes Suri, that's your chin :) |
Later this afternoon, the weather warmed up nicely and Suri was desperate for new entertainment. Being cooped up at home for over one week takes it's toll on her ... So I let her paint! She LOVES to paint and today was unlike any other. She had a blast and luckily the paint cleans up beautifully even off the sofa, the stuffed animals, Tecoah and Suri herself!
| My little Artist |
| No comment on her double socks... I was trying to double up the padding as she still has blisters on her feet and this was her first day wearing real shoes in over 1 week!! |
| Yes, tasting things is still a bad habit... |
| Suri's finished masterpiece! |
No comments:
Post a Comment