Our little miracle

Thursday, April 5, 2012

18 Months

Here we are... 18 months. . .

I find my self reluctant to admit that I now have an 18 month old little girl and I maintain a sense of satisfaction allowing the little voice in my head to constantly remind me that Suri is really only 17 months in her corrected age. Although that is "technically" true, the fact of the matter is that she is now "officially" 18 months old and there is absoultely nothing I can do about the fact that that time continues to slip right through my fingertips like water (long sigh). The word I would choose to describe Suri this month is EXHAUSTED.  Oh wait, that's for me! (wink) Challenging, I guess would be the the word I will use to describe Life as we know it this past month. Suri has officially enterd into a world of boundless energy, curiosity, independence and negativism. Each of these comes with pros and cons which continue to contribute to the multitude of grey hairs that continue reveal themselves to me when I look in the mirror. I struggle with where to begin in describing how I feel about Suri being 18months old. The fact that my baby is slipping further and further away is a reality I face each day when Suri does or says something new that catches me completely off guard or when an item of clothing I have selected for her to wear no longer fits. Suri's qwest for independance shines brighter and brighter with each new day. On the days where I find myself batteling Suri's quote un quote independance (aka when she is being a brat) I can't help but hear my mom's voice reining through my head "I hope one day you have a daughter just like you"  translation " I hope your child gives you as much trouble as you give us"!
Suri is in fact becomming more and more independant these days. She enjoys venturing off and trying to do things on her own coming back to take my hand if she needs assistance. She is becomming more and more vocal, attempting to immitate words and phrases at each opportunity. There are times I gasp in amazement as I will ask her to say something and she does... perfectly! She is also becomming vocal when she wants to express her frustration. Like when she decides to shriek at the top of her lungs while we are in the checkout line at the grocery store... pair the shrieking with her flailing herself back and forth in a rocking like motion as she reaches to pull my hair and eventually slap or pinch. Yes... this is my daughter these days. CHALLENGING, I must say with a smile. I am now officially "one of those Mothers" I used to watch while somewhat disgusted by their parenting tactics that seemed to "give in" to their rechid child's bad behavior. I would say to myself... if they only knew they are creating a monster". This has now become my reality. Giving Suri the applesauce while in line just to prevent the exaggerated tantrum, or purchasing BOTH easter baskets that she clutches tightly with a death grip, refusing to chose one over the other.  Yes, there are days when I find myself creating a monster to avoid going insaign (ha).

Aside from the occasional tantrum throwing, oppinionated little monster that surfaces occasionally, there is my sweet and tender 18 month old little girl, Suri Rose. The little girl who is so proud of herself when she picks up her toys and puts them back in their place, the sweet little girl who gently hands me her dinner plate when she is finished and the sweet little girl who gives the best open mouth kisses around! ( we are practicing kissing with our mouth closed- ha). Suri is empathetic when she sees someone is hurting, she thrives on praise and prefers order over chaos. She loves for me to sing while she preforms the hand movements to the songs she loves such as the Itsy Bitsy Spider and Wheels on the Bus. Suri's pleasant side of her personality is present more often than not and all in all she is a very easy going, low maintnence, kind hearted, happy little girl that I absolutely love more than any words can express.

Truth be told, Suri is definitely keeping me on my toes these days and despite my exhaustion at times, I am definitely up for the challenge. I am determined to stand by her side and help her to channel her strengths in the right direction. I find myself constantly reminding myself, of course she is a fighter. If it weren't for her strength and determination, she wouldn't be here.   Life is definitely good and I must say, "Mom, your wish has come true" Suri is becomming everything you wished her to be for me and for that I have been truly blessed. She is an amazing little girl who overflows my heart with love. Many of my smiles begin with her and I pray daily for strength and guidance as I continue to do the best I know how in raising a little girl who's presence has completely changed my world.

A snapshot of Suri at 18 months:
Likes:
Dora the Explorer
ELMO
Anything with a cap
Pushing buttons
Running. running, running
Going to the park
Trying to take her shoes and clothes on and off
Brushing her teeth
Being outside
Pumping her own lotion
Bubbles
Helping Mommy clean
Giving high fives and knuckles

Dislikes:
50% of vegetables and most any menu item that takes Mommy more than 15 minutes to prepare...
Sharing her belongings
When someone tries to help her with something she doesn't feel she needs help with!
Physical Therapy (it has been quite the challenge this month... poor Jacki)
Leaving the park

Favorite Foods:
Macaroni and Cheese
Applesauce
Yogurt
Mashed Potatoes
Corn

Communication:
Suri is definitely saying more and more words and phrases these days but her communication continues to blossom in ways aside from verbal words and phrases as well. She has facial expressions that could write a novel, hand gestures that all but talk, and a walk that means business!  Suri definitely has a side that screams "attitude" as well as a sensitive side that is tender and kind. Her imagination is developing faster than I can keep up with and I constantly finding her "mothering" her baby dolls as well as the dogs. Tecoah finds herself  falling victim to being covered with blankets and diapers as Suri pats away on her rib cage!! She pats my back when I hold her and brings me my shoes when I am getting ready in the morning. She scolds the neighbors dog when it barks by saying "no no" as she shakes her finger back and forth...Monkey see monkey do is applicable these days and I admit, there are times I remind myself that Suri knows exactly what I am doing and what I am talking about so I better be mindful of how I behave...

Suri Rose,
your path is yours to walk,
your dreams are yours to create,
your happiness is yours to define...

You are such a special gift that continues to be unwrapped a little bit more each month. You have given me so much to be thankful for and I am so blessed to be able to hold your hand as you continue to discover and utilize the strengths and talents within you. You have an amazing spirit Suri. Remember that "today" is always the most important day. Continue to live life in the moment and may all your dreams come true...

I love you sweet girl!  Happy 18 months!












Suri has her 18 month check up in a few weeks ... stay tuned for her 18 month stats : )

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for doing such a beautiful job keeping your blog up to speed so that we may peek into your journey and hop along for the ride! I love the "snapshot" idea and am confident I will be stealing it :) XOXOX

    ReplyDelete