Our little miracle

Saturday, October 20, 2012

2 year stats

On Wednesday, Suri had her 2 year appointment with Dr. Engel at North Scottsdale Pediatrics. I had fully intended to use my phone to take a picture of her with Dr. Engel however earlier in the day, my phone decided to completely stop working and due to the inconvenience, I was without a lens! Anyway, Suri was her social self to the Mother in the waiting room holding her 3 week old infant that of course Suri was obsessed with. I actually think she was more fascinated with the baby's car seat (she spotted the snaps) and thankfully the Mother was not a toddler-a-phobe and didn't mind Suri around the baby. She informed me she wasn't worried about Suri's germs as she has 4 older children at home.... (4.... More power to you lady!) She was quite impressed at Suri's vocabulary and commented over and over at how much older Suri looks and behaves for her age.

Once we finally were able to meet with Dr. Engel, Suri had began to get a bit antsy (surprise surprise). Suri was on fabulous behavior as long as she had either my or Dr. Engels UNDIVIDED attention however the moment she and I tried to converse, Suri grew horns.

Dr. Engel did seem to sympathize a bit with me as she tried to enforce the fact that although these times are extremely challenging with Suri, she feels they may not last the duration of her second year (due to the fact that Suri began her "challenging phase" a bit earlier than most children... (around 16 months). She seems to think that because Suri seems to behave about 6 - 12 months ahead of her chronological age, she may mellow out sooner than later. On the flip side, she also added that because Suri's base line is naturally challenging, to brace myself because it could get worse before it gets better (deep inhale.... followed by long exhale....). I sure hope her first theory is going to prove the accurate one....

Suri's stats continue to measure off the charts! She weighs 35.4 lbs and is 38 inches tall. That's 99th percentile for weight and 100% for height. Her BMI measured right at the 35th percentile for her height which concluded Suri to be proportionate and growing healthy :)  Yay!

After I had told Suri she wasn't going to have to get any pokies at this appointment, they informed me that the seasonal flu vaccines had arrived and that they highly recommend giving her one at this visit. Of course they do... making me out to be a liar to my 2 year old (sigh...). I therefore proceeded to put on my Child Life hat and explain to Suri that she did in fact need to get a pokie that was going to be one quick owiee. She and I practiced on her dolly and Suri sat in my lap and held extremely still for her shot. She cried for maybe 10 seconds post injection and it was after she received her tweetie bird band aid that I might have been forgiven...

She also received another round of fluoride on her teeth and we are to follow up again with the dentist in 6 months. Dr. Engel was impressed that Suri had already visited the dentist and she was extra impressed that Suri is potty trained! Overall, Suri had a stellar appointment and we will not be "due" for any particular follow up until Suri is 3 years old!

On a side note,
Dr. Engel recommended I begin to give Suri her inhaler again as respiratory season is just around the corner. I am somewhat hesitant to begin it again as she has been doing so well without it since she is no longer in daycare (which also translates to - she hasn't been sick every other week!) I am going to hold off for a few more weeks and see how she does. She has started to cough again when she runs or jumps around alot however that's about the only time I notice any shortness of breath. I sure hope these inhalers will become a thing of the past and that we will scoot through this upcoming respiratory season without any troubles :)

Suri's ear tubes are not longer functioning. They are still visible in her canal however Dr. Engel feels they will migrate completely out of her ear sooner than later... again, I sure hope we can get through this respiratory season ear infection free :)

Regarding Suri's therapy. She feels Suri's Physical Therapy has helped her tremendously over this past year and she is comfortable dismissing us when Jacki feels Suri has reached that point. Suri does need to continue to wear her orthotics though as they seem to be helping her maintain proper foot alignment. Occupational Therapy on the other hand is something that will need to be ongoing in order to continue to modify Suri's behavior as well to continue with Suri's sensory integration. Dr. Engle was happy to hear that I feel as though Suri has made improvements in her self regulation in doing the ttherapeutic listening. I can only continue to observe her and relay information as necessary. There are some nights I now feel like I need therapeutic listening!!! ha  I should have known that this little girl that made her way into existence despite every odd that was against her was going to be a handful! (wink wink).

Terriffic Two's here we come...





No comments:

Post a Comment